need help about trip through Poland

English speaking subforum for MX-5/ MIATA users all around the world. Please, english language only.

Moderator: Moderatorzy

Baronas
Kontakt:

01 cze 2009, 14:20

so, I'm having a trip to France throuh Poland.
I'v choused these roads
Obrazek

so, the quoestion is:
how can I miss going through Warsaw.
and is there heavy road works in this route?
callum

01 cze 2009, 14:55

Tough luck mate, you can't avoid going through Warsaw. Our beautiful capital doesn't even have a ring road.

I don't know the stretch of road from the border to Łomża, never been there. But the remaining part from there on to Warsaw is quite decent for Polish standards (that is, not too many holes in the road).

If you hit Warsaw at around noon, the traffic shouldn't be too heavy. It goes pretty bad again between 3 pm.m and 6.30 p.m. And obviously in the morning, around 9 a.m., it's nightmarish

You will arrive in Warsaw on road no. 8 coming from Wyszkow. The best choice is to keep following the no. 8, it goes around the city centre and is the closest thing to a ring road that we have here.

Keep following the no. 8 (it will probably be marked as going towards Wroclaw) until it links up with the A1 right in the middle of Poland, there you turn onto the A1 (which quickly becomes just "the 1" as it is no longer a motorway down there) and keep following it south. It's quite a nice road, dual carriageway and all.

All along mind the speed cameras, they are conveniently marked with blue road signs saying "Fotoradar". Not all of them are actually active but it's better to slow down when you see that sign until you pass the camera.

Here is a map with descriptions of the roadworks currently in Poland, you can zoom it in. It's got descriptions in Polish, not all of these roadworks are actually a big deal, sometimes it'a just the hard shoulder being done, but in many cases you will need to slow down. I don't know to what extent you understand Polish, perhaps you can understand the descriptions. Do not go for the English version of the website, it's pathetic :)

http://www.gddkia.gov.pl/article/serwis_dla_kierowcow//index.php

Here is another map that's more user friendly:
http://mapa.targeo.pl/warszawa
if you click on sixth the icon at the top (the "fork and spoon" sign), you'll get a list of different things that can be marked on the map. Tick "Utrudnienia" in the bottom left corner and "OK", that'll put roadworks on the map for you. I don't know to what extent this is up to date, though.

Good luck and don't get depressed travelling through Poland :-)

(Oh, and I'd go for 15" wheels for the miata rather than 16" or 17", it will be much more comfortable on our crap roads. I'm serious, I've swapped 16" for 15" myself!)
"Race car driving is like sex: all men think they're good at it" - Jay Leno

"I love work; it fascinates me; I can sit and watch it for hours." - O. Wilde
spilner

01 cze 2009, 15:04

callum pisze:Oh, and I'd go for 15" wheels for the miata rather than 16 or 17", it will be much more comfortable on our crap roads. I'm serious, I've swapped 16 for 15" myself!

Amen to that. Riding on 16 inches you can't help but wonder how much more punishment that suspension can still take before it disintegrates. Not a good thing, drags your attention away from those around you a bit too often.
I know I get a lot of stick from the other two idiots about thinking this, but the MX-5 is a car that smiles when you drive it. It wants to be driven, in the way that those husky dogs actually enjoy pulling sledges. - James May
Baronas
Kontakt:

01 cze 2009, 15:05

thanks man.

I'm not going with my miata... I'll take my ECO Bitch :D (Three cylinder 1.4 turbo diesel Polo united), so I'm not afraid about my wheels :)

i understand polish quite good, i just cant write in polish. (it's even crapier then my english :) )
Misza
Kontakt:

01 cze 2009, 15:21

spilner pisze:
callum pisze:Oh, and I'd go for 15" wheels for the miata rather than 16 or 17", it will be much more comfortable on our crap roads. I'm serious, I've swapped 16 for 15" myself!

Amen to that. Riding on 16 inches you can't help but wonder how much more punishment that suspension can still take before it disintegrates. Not a good thing, drags your attention away from those around you a bit too often.

I couldn't agree more... Are Lithuanian roads as bad as ours?

BTW, you've mentioned France... Is there any particular reason for you to choose not going via Germany? If it's not the very southern parts of France you're traveling to, I suggest you get to the A2 motorway (maybe you could then somehow avoid Warsaw), then survive about 100kms of a gap just before hitting the Polish-German border and moving from hell to paradise in a blink of an eye ;)
Baronas
Kontakt:

01 cze 2009, 15:25

Misza pisze:
spilner pisze:

I couldn't agree more... Are Lithuanian roads as bad as ours?

BTW, you've mentioned France... Is there any particular reason for you to choose not going via Germany? If it's not the very southern parts of France you're traveling to, I suggest you get to the A2 motorway (maybe you could then somehow avoid Warsaw), then survive about 100kms of a gap just before hitting the Polish-German border and moving from hell to paradise in a blink of an eye ;)

I'm going for my holliday to Saint-Tropez.

roads in Lithuania are a little bit better then in Poland...

the reason I'm asking about road works, is that last year we were going throug Poland for holliday in a camper, and there was road work on road work :(
Misza
Kontakt:

01 cze 2009, 15:45

Baronas pisze:the reason I'm asking about road works, is that last year we were going throug Poland for holliday in a camper, and there was road work on road work :(

Well, it's not unusual in the summer months - there's less traffic then, so it's good, but obviously it can be a pain... Sometimes it's comparable or even faster to use smaller local roads, but as long as you don't investigate quite thoroughly, it can be risky - some of them will be renovated or in a very good shape, but others may be absolutely horrible...
callum

01 cze 2009, 15:55

Misza pisze:Well, it's not unusual in the summer months - there's less traffic then, so it's good

And, we're trying to use our share of EU subsidies ;-)

Baronas
Kontakt:

02 cze 2009, 8:31

those colored points are ours road works:
Obrazek

yours:

Obrazek

I think it is easier to cross Lithuania then Poland. but our country is 4 times smaller then Poland.

Thanks for tips one more time.
uczen79

02 cze 2009, 8:48

:shock:
I think U should fly to France by plane ...

EDIT:
or.....U will spend yours holiday in Poland :mrgreen:
Ostatnio zmieniony 02 cze 2009, 8:52 przez uczen79, łącznie zmieniany 1 raz.
callum

02 cze 2009, 8:49

Maybe these are the only roads that need repair in Lithuania and the others are fine :) If you marked the Polish roads that do NOT need repair, it would also be just a few dots :D

Baronas
Kontakt:

02 cze 2009, 9:04

uczen79 pisze::shock:
I think U should fly to France by plane ...

EDIT:
or.....U will spend yours holiday in Poland :mrgreen:

it is much cheeper to drive to France because my car uses 3,7-4,5l diesel for 100 km.
SNCF

02 cze 2009, 9:21

Baronas pisze:so, I'm having a trip to France throuh Poland.
I'v choused these roads
so, the quoestion is:
how can I miss going through Warsaw.
and is there heavy road works in this route?

Hi

Traveling by car thru whole Poland :shock: bad idea!
If You want to do that without beaking law it will take You about 3days! and on Germany border You will need to center Your all AluRims :!:
Why don't You choose http://www.tgv-europe.com/en/Passenger_services/Auto_Train/ ?
You will be at destination exacly on time, fresh and relaxed! and ready to travel on good quality roads on Your roadster.

Ask Your Lietuvos Geležinkeliai about connections with SNCF rails

G.
Ostatnio zmieniony 02 cze 2009, 9:53 przez SNCF, łącznie zmieniany 3 razy.
"Wymaganie od wyzyskiwanego niewolnika, żeby rozpaczał po śmierci oprawcy, wydaje się przesadnym okrucieństwem"
callum

02 cze 2009, 9:29

SNCF pisze:Why don't You choose http://www.tgv-europe.com...ces/Auto_Train/ ?

Because they don't do destinations in Poland or Lithuania, do they? So he'd need to drive through LT and PL and DE just to get on the train for France alone.

Anyway, travelling across Germany and France will probably take him less than going through Poland.

Lilu

03 cze 2009, 6:49

I traveled to Hamburg from Warsaw a few years ago. Taking into consideration the total time of the journey, the bit from Warsaw to the border took roughly 2/3 of the trip. You'll take up speed noticeably once you're past the border.

Still, I'd try to make the trip through Poland as short as possible.
Appearances may be deceiving. :cool:
Baronas
Kontakt:

10 lip 2009, 11:13

I'm back... :mrgreen: i had no problems crossing Poland...
callum

10 lip 2009, 12:45

That's your optimistic Lithuanian nature speaking :-) We, Poles, love to whine and complain about our country ;-) as long as WE do the whining and complaining - if a foreigner tries to slag Poland off, we will defend it fiercely and say it's the best country in the world :-D But glad to hear you haven't had any problems.

ODPOWIEDZ