How to buy a car from Poland for export?

English speaking subforum for MX-5/ MIATA users all around the world. Please, english language only.

Moderator: Moderatorzy

M.U. Stone

15 maja 2013, 8:55

Hi All,

I've been looking information how to export a car from Poland, but I've found very little of it. Could You help me with this?

If I buy a car from Poland, what do I need to do, to get it legally abroad? Do I need transit/export plates? Do I need an insurance for it? Anything else? Which documents do I need?

In Finland, to registrate it, I'll need:
-contract of sale
-registration document for the vehicle (original, not a copy), with the date of first use of a car
-COC-certificate (I'm able to get this, if it's missing, probably it is missing)

I'm trying to get everything clear beforehands.

I am a member of finnish Miata-club. [URL=http://www.miata.fi/]Miata-club - Finland[/URL]
We have a quite lively Miata-community here in Finland. We have meetings every now and then, but also track days a few times a year (a few time in a summer, exactly).

Please, contact us, if You ever visit Finland!

Thank You!

M.U. Stone
Awatar użytkownika
Qbatron
Donator
Donator

15 maja 2013, 9:37

In Poland when You buy a Car, registration certificate and plates stays with the car and it is your obligation to return them to "communication office" (not sufe if good word, google translate). Insurance is valid until old owner terminates it. So the cheapest way is to buy a car, drive it to Finland instantly, and then send registration certificate and plates back to the old owner.

Am I right guys?
polejarz

15 maja 2013, 10:00

I've tried to google this topic, and I think in general Qbatron is right, although it is a little unclear whose obligation it is to unregister the car in Poland. Within EU this should be done by the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) of the destination country, which informs Polish DMV via e-mail, on the other hand this may be done by the old owner, who does the unregistration based on the proof the car was sole abroad. In such case the old owner should present the contract of sale and the copy of the registration in Finland (I assume you will not provide original documents).
Anyhow, if Polish is interested in selling you car, such person should go to DMV and clarify all formal issues.
Once it's done let us know, maybe we'll be of help to somehow validate it.
Rgds,
Piotr
Awatar użytkownika
SponeR
Model: NA
Wersja: ultra old

15 maja 2013, 10:07

M.U. Stone pisze:-registration document for the vehicle (original, not a copy)

if the registration document must be on you, you should go to "communication office" and ask for test plates "tablice próbne" a register to you, buy a 30 days insurance for those

if not, everything is like a Qbatron, apply :]
you got 30 days to register the car under your name, so you can drive it to finland
Ostatnio zmieniony 15 maja 2013, 10:46 przez SponeR, łącznie zmieniany 1 raz.
MIATA nim jak szatan
Obrazek
Awatar użytkownika
Qbatron
Donator
Donator

15 maja 2013, 10:18

polejarz pisze:(...)although it is a little unclear whose obligation it is to unregister the car in Poland.(...)

previous owner, by giving back the registration certificate and plates, and showing contract of sale saying, that person who bought a car, is not polish.
polejarz

15 maja 2013, 10:36

Qbatron pisze:
polejarz pisze:(...)although it is a little unclear whose obligation it is to unregister the car in Poland.(...)

previous owner, by giving back the registration certificate and plates, and showing contract of sale saying, that person who bought a car, is not polish.

Qbatron, this is not that obvious. If M.U.Stone can go to Finland with current plates and registration, previous owner will not be able to return them to DMV. According to "Uncle Google" he should present the sales contract and copy of Finnish registration.

If. M.U Stone will apply for temporary plates and registration in Poland, then what you said is OK, as the old plates and registration will remain in Poland.
M.U. Stone

15 maja 2013, 14:26

Thanks guys,

This really helped me a lot.

I also visited a local authority today and asked more precisely which document they (or I) will need. They said, that I'll need the original registration document, but it won't be necessary to be on my name. It's okay to be on the last owners name. Plus the sales contract of course.

So basically I can buy the car, drive back to Finland and pay the taxes (we have this car tax in Finland, not funny at all. Just compare the prices: [url]http://www.nettiauto.com/mazda/mx-5[/url] ) and registrate the car on my name. And if necessary, send back the plates. The Finnish DMV (or similar) will automatically notify the polish DMV, I was told. It's only how quickly they'll do it. I bet it's better to handle it by myself.

Cheers,

M.U. Stone
lasic
Kontakt:

15 maja 2013, 15:54

M.U. Stone, In my opinion, you should worry only about things that will be needed to register car in Finland. When you buy a car in Poland (and you are a citizen of UE), the car plates stays with a car, insurance will be valid for a month (could be shorter, check the expire date, it's called "OC" here). You will also get an original registration document "Dowód rejestracyjny". You should also check, if MOT test is valid ("Przegląd rejestracyjny" or "Ważne badanie techniczne"). It cost just about 25€ to make one, but, officialy, you can't drive a car without it (and driving about 1000km it's not a good idea).

About sending back plates, I think you should just take it to your local DMV and let them do with it what ever they want ;) (maybe they let you have it as a souvenir ;)).
Awatar użytkownika
Qbatron
Donator
Donator

15 maja 2013, 17:27

polejarz pisze:Qbatron, this is not that obvious. If M.U.Stone can go to Finland with current plates and registration, previous owner will not be able to return them to DMV.

That's why I wrote about sending plates back to the polish owner. But If it's possible to do everything in finnish DMV, that's a lot easier :)
M.U. Stone

15 maja 2013, 19:27

I'm very pleased to hear, the legal part of the buy isn't a problem. And why should it be? I'm sure, there's been thousands of cars taken abroad from Poland, at least to Baltic countries.

The next thing is to find the car I want.

lasic pisze:original registration document = "Dowód rejestracyjny"
MOT test = "Przegląd rejestracyjny" or "Ważne badanie techniczne"

Thanks for translations. It's good to know the right terms in Your language. I would appreciate for some more though. The almost only one I've learned this far is: km = horse power, not kilometers... :grin:

M.U. Stone

P.s. here's some of our best MX-5 pictures from Finland [url=http://www.miata.fi/forum/index.php?topic=1313.0] Finnish MX-5s [/url]
RS
Donator
Donator
Model: NA

15 maja 2013, 19:51

Maybe someone would like to help you and check the documents during purchase. I would like to help you but I don't think you will visit my region (south-east).
lasic
Kontakt:

15 maja 2013, 21:41

And you can check this trading part of our forum:
http://forum.mx5klubpolska.pl/viewforum.php?f=35
Look for topics marked with a [S].
Awatar użytkownika
Qbatron
Donator
Donator

16 maja 2013, 7:23

or if You want to buy from reliable source, we recommend [URL=http://roadstery.pl/_page/index.php?show=5]ROADSTERY.PL[/URL]. Not the cheapest but every one who bought car there, is satisfied.
jasnoksieznik

21 maja 2013, 10:52

Umm.. guys, wait a moment... you forget the "Karta pojazdu".

Just as in Germany, in Poland you have two documents per car - one is for the vehicle and one is for the vehicle/owner/license plate.

The "Karta pojazdu" is the more important one (German "Fahrzeugbrief"), it should never be stored in the car. It is issued once per vehicle (in Poland) and this is probably what your Finnish authorities need to get.

"Dowod rejestracyjny" is the puny document you have to carry when you drive the car, in Poland it has the owner, license plate number and the "tech inspection date".

Hint: You will save some time/money, if you sign a bilingual contract with the seller.
ODPOWIEDZ